The Sister Anita Sheerin Media Center at Asheville Catholic School houses more than 8,000 volumes in addition to periodicals, DVDs and videos. Students also have access to electronic resources through online subscriptions and databases.
The ACS media center is managed full-time by Mrs. Shonra McManus, a certified librarian, who leads regular classes for all students.
Some of the media center’s more popular programs include Battle of the Books for middle school students, and participation in the North Carolina Children’s Book Award programs for both elementary and middle school students.
The Birthday Book Program at ACS is a great way to share the gift of reading. Learn more here.
Destiny Library Catalog
Access the information about media center holdings through the Destiny Library Catalog.
- American Girl
- Boy’s Life
- Chop Chop: the Fun Cooking Magazine for Families
- Dig: the Archaeology Magazine for Kids
- Lego Club Magazine
- Marvel Super Heroes Magazine
- National Geographic
- National Geographic Kids
- Popular Mechanics
- Popular Science
- Sports Illustrated for Kids
- Time for Kids
- Wildlife in North Carolina
- Young Rider
Media Center Policies
- Checkout Periods
- Students may checkout materials for two weeks and renew an item twice.
- Number of Checkouts
- Students in grades 1-8 may check out as many books as their grade level. For example, 1st Grade may check out 1 book and 8th Grade may check out 8 books.
- Students in Kindergarten may check out 1 book at a time. Students in PreK do not check out books.
- Limits on Materials
- Except under special circumstances, students in Kindergarten and 1st Grade can only check out books from the story corner.
- Magazines – 2nd Grade and up.
- Graphic Novels – 3rd Grade and up.
- Young Adult – 6th Grade and up. (4th and 5th Grade students may check out YA materials with written permission from their parents.
- Overdue Items
- Overdue notices are sent out once a month.
- Students are not charged fines, however they are charged replacement costs for lost or significantly damaged materials.
- If you think you have lost an item, please contact Mrs. McManus at email@example.com.